No other sector has probably grown as much as in-home exercise equipment like rowing machines.
If you have been looking for the perfect rowing machine for your own home gym, you may be trying to choose between the Hydrow and the Aviron.
|Our Top Picks||Rower||Price|
|Hydrow Rowing Machine|
These are both world-class rowing machines offering lots of cool features that everyone wants in a home rower.
Home workouts aren’t a luxury in the 21st century anymore, they’re a need! This is why you want to take care and choose the right machine for you and your family.
Rowing is a terrific low-impact workout that everyone in your family can do to maintain weight and stay heart-healthy. High-quality machines can last for decades, so it’s worth investing in the best indoor rower for the whole family.
I’ve got a great deal of rowing experience both on the water and indoor, so I know the difference between a good rowing machine and a great one.
Want to know which of these indoor rowers is going to be the best fit for you? Keep reading so you can make a more informed decision.
Aviron Rower Vs Hydrow Rowing Machine
These two indoor rowing machines look similar in many ways and have almost the same sticker price, but there are quite a few differences that you should note before you buy.
While the Hydrow isn’t an older model, it has been on the market since 2017, with solid feedback behind it. You can find out quite a bit about the Hydrow since thousands of people have used it and left good reviews on numerous sites. The Hydrow rower is made by professional rowers who know what you’re looking for in a home workout.
On the other hand, the Aviron brand has been serving high-profile clients like Gold’s Gym, Nike HQ, and YMCA since 2018. With a well-established reputation for durability and longevity in the commercial market, Aviron came out with the home rower in mid-2020.
This background info tells you a lot about both companies, but what about the rowers? Let’s take a look at each one so you can see the differences.
The Hydrow Rower
As I mentioned above, the Hydrow rower is made by rowing professionals who also lead many of the workouts and live classes.
I love the Hydrow because the workouts are done on the water, not in a classroom setting, which gives you the closest real-life rowing experience you can get without getting wet.
Features of the Hydrow Rowing Machine
The Hydrow has so many features that it’s hard to name them all, but here are the important ones everyone will want to know:
- Weight capacity is 375 pounds
- Hydrow weight is 145 pounds
- Features a 22-inch HD touchscreen that is sweat and dust resistant
- Comes with a heart rate monitor so you can work at your best fat-burning level
- Has a 5-year frame warranty that is really fantastic
- Uses a computer-controlled electromagnetic resistance system that is both quiet and unlike any other rower I’ve ever used!
- It also has digital, adjustable resistance levels that you can set yourself
- The cushioned 10-roller seat system is super comfortable
- Easily adjustable foot pedals
- High-quality front-facing speakers
- Progress tracking and community interaction via the app
- Hundreds of workout classes, including live, interactive workouts, and on-demand workouts done in real-life rowing sessions on the water
- Other off-the-machine workout programs are also available, such as yoga and Pilates
- Can be stored upright using the Hydrow Storage Kit and Wall Mount
- Easy to assemble, but delivery and on-site assembly are also available
- The monthly membership cost is currently $38 a month for the rower. You can create unlimited profiles so everyone in the family can use the single membership.
There is so much more to the Hydrow rower than the details above. Let me tell you why you need this incredible indoor rower.
Why You NEED the Hydrow Rowing Machine
The rowing workouts on the Hydrow rower are top-of-the-line and cannot be compared with any other type of workout, except for the real thing. If you love live, on-demand workouts, you’ll love the Hydrow.
The Hydrow offers a full-body, intense workout if you like, or you can use some of the scenic workouts where you go at your own pace down some of the most beautiful rivers and streams in the world.
The computer-controlled, electromagnetic resistance is like no other rowing machine. You can adjust it manually, of course, but the on-demand workouts are designed so that the computer controls the resistance level. By the way, the electromagnetic resistance makes virtually zero noise, so you can use this in an apartment or if you have small children that you don’t want to wake up from their naps!
The Hydrow Vs Other Rowing Machines
Not only is this the best machine I’ve ever used, but I also happen to think it’s one of the most beautiful. Its sleek, modern style looks like a new-age chair or recliner.
It does take up some floor space, but the Hydrow offers easy storage when you use the Hydrow Storage Kit and Wall mount. The Hydrow can be stored vertically, taking up very little storage space when you use the kit.
There are complete instructions, and perhaps the best part of all, Hydrow is offering a free 30-day trial. If for any reason you don’t think the Hydrow is what you need, then you can return it for a full refund, no questions asked.
Motivate yourself to get into the best shape of your life with the full-body workout you can get on the Hydrow.
The Aviron Rower
This rowing machine has a lot going for it, that’s to be sure. Like all rowers, it offers a full-body workout that is low-impact. It’s a solid choice among indoor rowers.
The Aviron is going to be stiff competition in the world of indoor rowers, that’s for certain. They offer 7 different ways to work out, including community races, games, guided rows and off-the-machine workouts, competition against pro athletes and Olympians. Let me tell you what else I know about the Aviron indoor rower.
Features of the Aviron Rowing Machine
Aviron offers two models – the Impact series and the Tough series – which means you can choose the one that addresses your needs better. Let’s take a look at the features common to both models first before checking out what sets them apart.
Features common to both the Impact and Tough models
- Dual-resistance method – these machines operate with both air and magnetic types of resistance
- 16 levels of resistance – the lower 1-10 levels are designed for effective low-impact cardio, while the higher 11-16 levels are perfect for strength training
- Bluetooth connectivity allows you to use Bluetooth headphones or heart monitors
- 22-inch touchscreen monitor
- 7 different workout options let you choose from competitive rows against other users or pro athletes, virtual scenic rowing, gamified workouts, and guided programs on and off the rower
- Workouts are short but effective, exactly what busy people need
- The monthly fee is currently $29 a month or $299/year if paid in full. Like the Hydrow, you can create unlimited user profiles so everyone can share the single subscription
- Aviron has a frame warranty of 10 years, with a 2-year limited warranty on parts. An extended 2-year warranty is also available for $150/year
Features that distinguish the two series from each other
|Features||Impact Series||Tough Series|
|Weight capacity||397 lbs||507 lbs|
|Height limit||6’7″ inseam||6’8″ inseam|
|Rower weight||97 lbs||125 lbs|
Why You NEED an Aviron Rowing Machine
The Aviron rower is for people who prefer self-serve and gamified workouts rather than instructor-led rowing classes.
If you love short, high-intensity workouts that you can squeeze into your busy schedule, if you need variety to keep you continually motivated and challenged, and if you find overenthusiastic instructors a disruption, then Aviron is definitely designed for you.
You’ll be amazed at the variety of engaging content that Aviron has to offer. Its exceptional dual-resistance mechanism provides up to 100 pounds of drag or pull for more efficient cardio and strength-building workouts.
While most air rowers can be noisy, remember that Aviron is an air-magnetic hybrid rower. It utilizes whisper nylon belts that produce 60 decibels only, which is about the same noise level as background music or a normal conversation. To put that in context, average home noise registers around 40 dB, while normal office noise is around 70 dB.
The Aviron rower has a steel-and-aluminum frame, which means that it is durable yet lightweight.
I know I’ve already mentioned the 10-year warranty for the frame, but I’d like to point out that we’re talking about a company that not only stands by but also believes in its product. Ten years in warranty is industry-leading – not a lot of fitness companies show that kind of faith in their machine.
If you love games and competitive racing, you will enjoy the workouts that the Aviron offers.
The Aviron is also offering a free 30-day trial, so you can check it out to make your own comparison.
Hydrow Vs Aviron: Who Won
But that’s where the catch is. The thing that will make a rower the winner is YOU, the user. I’ve said this before, and I’ll say it again – the best rower is the one that you will use regularly. You will not need to drag yourself to do workouts if you have a machine that motivates and ‘speaks’ to you.
If you pick the rower that syncs with your needs and preferences, working out becomes pure pleasure and so rewarding that you will never see it as a chore again. Instead of pushing yourself every single day because you NEED to work out, your machine becomes the irresistible thought that pulls you toward it and makes rowing fun!
Both the Hydrow and the Aviron are a calorie-burning beast, but each product targets a different segment of the home-rowing populace.
One is for people who love live, instructor-led Peloton-style rowing, while the other is for rowers who prefer a self-serve, gamified rowing platform.
If you think you’ve had enough of those ho-hum rowing classes that never helped you attain your fitness goals or enjoy your workouts, then it’s the best time for a change – it’s time for Aviron. This indoor rower packs up to 100 pounds of resistance to help you reach your goals faster through short, fun, and high-intensity gamified workouts.
Now, If you prefer real-life ‘on-the-water’ rowing adventures, intuitive and computer-controlled resistance, and instructor-led workouts both on and off the rower, then you need Hydrow. The immersive and interactive experience that you get from Hydrow is one of a kind and can range from meditative journeys to heart-pumping races.
Make that dream rower a reality now!
Other Articles You Might Find Helpful:
- Hydrow Vs Peloton – Who Offers the best workout?
- How does Hydrow Compare to Water Rowers?
- Is a Hydrow better than Echelon Rowers?